Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Live Oak

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 86 degrees, cloudy skies, light showers

About mid-morning, I asked Carolyn what would she like to do today, and she said let's take a drive to the north. Okay, that was fine with me, since both of us are getting a serious case of hitch itch. I have a doctor's appointment next Monday, and we are hopeful that I will be released from more appointments at that time.

Since we didn't have a destination in mind when we left the RV this morning, I jumped on to I-75 and headed north. I know that I've said we don't like driving the interstate highways, but if you don't really have a destination in mind, then they work.

One thing we noticed while driving north was the number of RVs that were heading south. It looks like the snow bird migration has started. We were surprised to see how few of the RVs were fifth wheels or tag-alongs. The majority were motor homes and Class C's, with a few truck campers thrown in.

We blew right on by Gainesville and Alachua, eventually turning to the west and heading toward Live Oak, the county seat of Suwanee County. We have come to appreciate the beauty and tranquility of the small towns and countryside of north Florida, and today seemed to be a good one to explore Live Oak.

Live Oak was settled in the late 1800s, primarily because of the railroad. It has a population of about 6500 people, and is the county seat of Suwanee County. The county has a beautiful old courthouse, which is well kept. Most of the original wood inside the building is still in place, and it can be seen that heart pine lumber was used. In other words, the wood will be there as long as the building. Here's a picture of the courthouse.



I stepped inside the courthouse to see what it looked like, and ran into a metal detector and two sheriff's deputies, manning a post at that door. They asked if they could help me, and I explained what I was doing, complimenting the county for keeping the old courthouse. I was asked if I wanted to see the main courtroom, located on the second floor, and I said yes. Here's that courtroom.



The deputy who took me up to the courtroom explained the history of the courthouse, which was built in 1904, with construction starting in 1901. Just about everything about the construction was hand built, and the quality is obvious. Eventually, an elevator, electricity, and air conditioning were added, but not much more. I was told that the area where the elevator goes to the second floor was built in a room where prisoner executions took place. The deputy and i talked a little about the crime issues that the country has today. He is of the opinion that most of the temptations that cause people to do wrong were around back when the courthouse was built, and crime was not as bad then. He thinks that the morals of the country have slipped, and that they will continue to slide. This was from a man about 30 years old, and I have to say I agree with him.

Leaving the courthouse, which as the highlight of the day, we drove around town, checking out the business area, which is below. Note that I was standing in the middle of the street when I took the picture. Busy!



Here's City Hall.



And then there's this picture of the home of the man who is credited with building most of Live Oak, Thomas Dowling.



Eventually, we made our way back to Newberry, where we had a late lunch at Backyard Bar-b-que, where we ate a week or so ago. The food was just as good the second time around.

By the time we were back at home, both of us were ready for a little rest, me with meditation, and Carolyn with a nap. It was a good day and will do until we can hit the road again.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Live Oak, Florida: Heart Of Suwanee County

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

shirae said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog every day since your drive to Weatherford,Tx. The truck broke down and the 5th wheel was in the Weatherford RV park.
We had to return to Ocala as my Mother had a heart attack and was in the same hospital at the same time as you.
I also am from Ocala. Lake Weir High graduate. My mother 85 still lives in Belleview, where I grew up.
Be safe and enjoy the fall colors.
I will truly miss the details of your trips around central Florida.

Shirae

Jerald said...

Hello, Shirae. We know the Weatherford area well, having spent about three years in Glen Rose when working. I'm sorry to hear your mother has been ill, but at least it sounds as though she received good care when in the hospital, as I did. Both of our daughters were born in that hospital, but it looked much different back then. Oh, by the way - I graduated from Ocala High School, back when the school was located on East Fort King Street.

Stay tuned. We expect to have more adventures around Florida in the future.

Jerald