Saturday, September 18, 2010

College Football Day

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 68 degrees, high 90 degrees, mostly clear skies

When college football season arrives, the number one activity for me on Saturdays is watching the various football games. When Florida is playing, I try to get my chores finished before the game starts so nothing interferes with my enjoyment of the game. That is, my enjoyment if the Gators are playing well. This season has been shaky for the three first games, as the Gators seem to have problems doing anything early in the games, and usually don't start playing well until the second half.

Today's game against Tennessee was more of the same, as the Gators couldn't seem to get out their own way, offensively. The defense played a good game, and they're what's keeping the Gators undefeated. Florida seems to be finding a new offensive identity, and they better get their stuff together in a hurry. They play Kentucky next, then have to travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to play the Crimson Tide. If the Gators aren't playing better by then, they will be run out of the stadium. You have never heard an obnoxious Alabama fan until you hear my oldest daughter Terri crowing about how Alabama is winning. I don't need her calling me to rub it in if Florida loses. I know I wouldn't do that to her.

Just give me the chance.

I had some chores to do this morning, and I told Carolyn that I would do whatever she wanted, as long as we were at home for the game. She didn't have anything planned, so I went to the WalMart Mall to pick up some groceries. I wish I had gotten an earlier start, as the store was busy when I got there. It took me about 20 minutes to get through the cashier, even though plenty of lanes were opened. I don't think the economy is the reason for the busy store. It's Saturday, which is when many people do their shopping for the week.

Speaking of the economy, I saw a headline in the newspaper this morning that said the unemployment rate was up to 15% in Ocala. That doesn't count the people whose unemployment benefits have run out or have given up on finding a job. We know several people who are not working, and their job prospects are dim. I don't see things getting better here for a while. I'm thankful that I don't need to look for a job, and I feel for those who can't find work.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Jellico, Tennessee: What A Great Place To Be!

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: