Sunday, September 5, 2010

Battery Maintenance

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 92 degrees, light sprinkles in the late afternoon, partly cloudy to mostly cloudy skies

Sunday is usually a day that we tend to not do anything except rest and possibly go out to eat. Just like people who live in a house. After a busy week of doing whatever it is we happen to be doing, we're usually ready for a slow day. That's pretty much what today was. A day that was slow, but restful.

I still got in my morning walk, which I try not to miss. About 1000 hours, I got a little restless and decided to check the batteries on the RV and truck as part of our preps for leaving here this next week if the doctor gives me a good report. The RV battery was fine, except for having to add a little demineralized water to top off the cells. The truck batteries, on the other hand, needed a little more work. Both batteries were a little low on water, which was easy to take care of. The corrosion had built up on the battery posts for the two batteries, so I took everything apart and cleaned the crud off. Then, I used some WD-40 spray to put a good coating on all the parts. That's a tip I picked up this week that's supposed to retard the growth of the corrosion. We'll see how that goes.

The really hard part of this work was that it was in the sun, with about 95% humidity. By the time I was finished, I felt like I had been in a sauna. It seemed like the smart thing to do was get inside the RV and hug the air conditioner, which I did for the rest of the day. I have gotten too hot two times in the past, and it seems that I can't take the heat like I used to be able to do.

Recently, Carolyn has been working on her family tree, finding information that takes her maternal line back to 15oos Wales in England. Her paternal line goes back to 1200s Scotland, and she thinks she will be able to find information that goes even farther back. My maternal line is fairly easy to trace, while my paternal line only seems to go back to the 1850s so far. It looks as though I am going to get more involved in the efforts on my family tree, which is only right. I would like to know more, and Carolyn is going to help me find what's available. The problem we see now is that my paternal line is so sketchy. We'll see how it goes.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Renaissance City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: