Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 91 degrees, partly cloudy

During my life, several events have occurred that I will remember the rest of my life. I can remember what I was doing and where I was at when the events happened. Two events were the John Kennedy assassination and the space shuttle Challenger explosion. Today, our nation remembers the events of 9/11. Over 3000 Americans were killed, and many people lost their sons, daughters, fathers, husbands, brothers, sisters, and friends. I hope we never forget this day in our history.

It was a very humid day here, even with a nice breeze blowing. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity does. Near the end of my walk this morning, I really felt the effects of the high humidity. I hope it gets drier soon.

We went over to Sam's Club around noon to pick up a few things we use from there. Even though we don't buy a lot of things there, we enjoy looking at the quality merchandise they have. One thing we looked at was their laptop computers. Our current laptop is more than five years old, and still works fine. However, we know we're probably reaching the end of the usable life of this machine, so we're going to keep our eyes open so if we find another computer we like, we can go ahead and get it before this one goes off to the great computer graveyard.

After returning from Sam's, we did some meditating. It's nice to be able to take a break. Then I went out to the house to do the weed eating, which took about three hours. Tomorrow and Saturday, I'll do the mowing and the yard will be ready for the Open House on Sunday. We still need to go through the house and touch it up a little, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Our daughter Lori called this morning to update us on their preparations for Hurricane Ike. She and her family live about 20 miles from the gulf coast of Texas, and about 80 miles southwest of Houston. The hurricane will impact the area where they live, and the only question is how much. She told me what they had done to get ready, and it sounds like they will be okay. I hope everyone down there comes out of the storm safe and sound.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Bay City, Texas: Gateway To The Great Outdoors

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: