Sunday, September 7, 2008

Frightening Experience

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 65 degrees, high 87 degrees, clear skies

After my morning walk, I stopped at McDonald's and picked us up a couple of sausage biscuits for breakfast. These biscuits don't come close to matching what my sister Janie can make, but they'll do in a pinch.

Traffic in town was much lighter, since most of the people going to the game last night were already gone home or slept in late. It was an easy drive, and made me yearn for some of the small towns in Texas.

After an easy morning and no work yesterday, I was starting to look around for something to do. I decided to go out to the house and do some more yard work. I had just started down the hill next to the woods when I noticed a pile of limbs that had fallen out of a tree. Most of the limbs that fall are rotten, so the mower can run over them with no damage. However, I always check them out to make sure I don't run over one that will cause damage. Just before I started over the limbs, one of them started moving. What the... Whoa!! Rattlesnake!!! @%&#**?/%$#! Now, I don't like snakes. Period. I was within four feet of this one, and he was just to my left side. I immediately started hitting the accelerator as hard as I could and steered away from the snake. He appeared to be just as startled as I was, and was trying to go the opposite direction. I didn't have anything to kill him with, and I knew he would be gone by the time I went and got something, like about a ten feet long stick with a sharp blade.

Once I was over my initial fright (that's right, I was scared!!), I rode back around where I saw the snake and saw his tail disappearing into the underbrush. It might seem like exaggeration, but he was at least five feet long and as thick as my forearm. That was not a pleasant time.

Once my heart settled down, I continued mowing, working my way out to the driveway. While doing the driveway, a car came down to the house. The people said they had seen the realty company sign for the house, and would like to look at the property, if possible. I said sure, come on in. My feeling was that you don't turn anyone away, because all you need is one buyer. Showing the property and talking to them took an hour, and they loved the property. The only sticking point was the price, and I recommended they talk to the Realtor to see what might be worked out.

After the lookers left, I finished mowing along the driveway. Then it was back home, where I rested a few minutes, then cleaned up the truck, inside and out. After taking a short break, we ate some very good soup that Carolyn prepared.

Overall, a good day, except for my little fright.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Eureka, California: Queen City Of The Ultimate West

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: