Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yellow Jackets

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 85 degrees, mostly cloudy, scattered showers

During my walk this morning, it was quiet until I was about 200 yards from the truck. A big tractor was mowing the flood dike that the walking path is located on. About 100 yards ahead of me was another man coming toward me. All of a sudden, he started jumping and and kicking and flapping his hands and arms. Then he pulled his shirt off, and almost pulled his pants off. Then he started running. I stopped in my tracks. What's the deal with this guy? As he got to me, he said the tractor had stirred up a yellow jacket nest, and they bit him all over. He walked on, still flapping. I waited where I was as a woman who was about 30 yards behind the man walked on through the area where the yellow jackets had attacked him. She showed no signs that anything was happening to her, and as she got even with me, she asked what was going on. I told her what happened, and she almost freaked out, because she realized she had been very lucky. I waited a few minutes to let things settle down, then walked on to the truck. No problem.

I stopped at The WalMart Mall and picked up a few things, then went on home. After resting a few minutes, I starting waxing on the outside of the RV again. I didn't finish, but made a big dent in what was left to be done. The reason I didn't finish was that we started having little showers that popped in and out for most of the rest of the day.

After resting a little while from the waxing, I started scanning pictures for Terri again. Only about thousands to go. Not really, it just seems like there are that many.

About 1600 hours, I went out to check the house. We received a call from the Realtor this morning saying that she was going to show the house to a very interested party. So far, we don't have any feedback on the showing. When I went out, I noticed that the Open House signs for Sunday were posted.

While at the house, I weeded the flower beds so there will not be so much to do when I mow later this week. While doing the weeding, I noticed that the red wasps were starting to be too aggressive, so I sprayed all the nests I could find. I'll spray everyday between now and Sunday in an effort to keep the people coming to the Open House from being bitten. I don't think they would appreciate that.

One last thing: Carolyn heard from the doctor who she went to last week about the nodules on her left calf. The good news is that the nodules are not tumors or cysts. He really doesn't know what they are, but he is speculating that they were caused by trauma of some sort. Carolyn can not remember hurting herself, so it may be that muscle cramps caused the problem. She does have muscle cramps. The doctor referred her to an Orthopedic surgeon, and she will see him on Thursday, the 18th. We are both hoping that this doesn't develop into something that takes as long to resolve as her vertigo did.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Columbus, Mississippi: Possum Town

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: