Saturday, February 12, 2011

Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 21 degrees, high 52 degrees, clear skies

We enjoyed eating out with Judy and Roger last night, but I must have gotten something that didn't agree with me. I was was under the weather all day, staying in my chair and watching television most of the day. I did get up enough ambition to go to the old railroad bed walking trail so I could try to find where a Civil War battle took place in 1864.

As soon as I was on the trail, I saw an interesting twisty tree. I wonder what made this tree get it's twisted shape?



Another interesting thing I saw was some old power line poles that had apparently been left in place when the trail was being built. I wonder when these old poles were installed?



Black walnut trees are becoming hard to find as people clear land or cut them down for use in furniture. I found some of the trees today, including some of the nuts on the ground.



When I got to the site of the Sulphur Creek Trestle Battle, located about 1.25 miles from where I started walking, the first thing I saw was the creek. There wasn't much to it, since it was only a few feet wide. The railroad was an important supply route for the Union Army, moving supplies from Nashville to Athens and Huntsville. A Union fort was in place to protect the railroad and trestle. In 1864, the Confederates attacked the fort and took it after a battle of several hours. This battle was the bloodiest of the Civil War in Alabama, with over 200 men being killed.

At this time, the location where the fort was located has a modern, large home located on it. I wonder if they know the significance of their home's location?

Here's what the creek looks like. Not much to it.



That's about it from here. I hope I feel better tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Virginia City, NV: History For The Taking

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: