Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Elkmont, Alabama

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 24 degrees, high 40 degrees, cloudy until noon, then mostly clear skies

Hoping to build on my attempt to be healthier as evidenced by my long walk yesterday, I bundled up and went on another walk today. Big mistake! The wind was blowing, but didn't seem to be blowing that hard. But, it seemed that no matter which direction I was walking, the wind was still in my face. I toughed out the cold wind, but when I got home, I could hardly talk because my lips felt frozen. If I had taken a minute to check the temperature, I would have waited until the afternoon to walk. When I got home, the wind chill was down to 24 degrees. Sheesh! That's just too cold for these old bones.

About lunchtime, Carolyn asked if I wanted to go to town for lunch. Well, I didn't mind going to town, but I wasn't really wanting to eat at one more fast food restaurant. Instead, I suggested meat loaf sandwiches. She said that was a good idea, and that she had forgotten about the meat loaf. The sandwiches were very good, and probably better than anything we could have gotten in town.

We still went in to town after lunch, and stopped at a thrift shop operated by a homeless persons shelter. We have been looking for a side table for the couch in the living room, and thought there might be something there we could use. As might be expected in a place like this store, most of the stuff was old and wore out. We found one table that might have worked, but we thought the price was too high. Heck, we could probably buy a new one for what they wanted. Maybe we'll check the furniture store where we bought the couch.

When we left the thrift store, we took a ride down another of those many country roads in the county. Eventually, we ended up in the little town of Elkmont, which is where our address is located. We live about two miles away from Elkmont. I decided to take some pictures of the downtown area. Now, you need to understand that Elkmont is well off the beaten path, and you have to want to be going there to get there.

I have written many times about how much we like small towns. We think they are the backbone of the country, and are the most likely places to find evidence of the American values that we grew up with. Life is a little slower, people have time to stop and talk, and the American flag is flown. Front porches are still used for visiting and watching the traffic go by, high school football is the biggest thing around, and most people have a back yard garden. They remind us of our younger years.

This first picture is of the Elkmont train depot. The trains stopped running years ago, and the tracks were removed and the right of way converted to a walking trail about ten miles long.



These next two pictures pretty much sum up what downtown Elkmont looks like. None of the stores are used any more, except for a small gas station/convenience store around the corner.





This next picture is of the old railroad bed, which has been converted in to a walking trail.



Most of the houses in town are older and modest. There are a few newer homes, and a new post office was built to accommodate the people moving in to the surrounding area.

So that's Elkmont, but could be many other little towns that we have visited across the country.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Tupelo, Mississippi: Birthplace of Elvis Presley

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: