Monday, February 14, 2011

Chores

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 35 degrees, high 65 degrees, clear skies

The weather was the best today that we have seen in about three months. We'll have more cold weather before winter is over, but maybe there won't be any more snow.

The warmer weather encouraged us to do a few housekeeping chores outside that had been put off. Carolyn said she had been hearing what sounded like a leak when she washed dishes, but we couldn't find any evidence of it inside the house. The house has a crawl space that's easy to get in to, so I crawled in there to see if I could see the leak. After looking for several minutes with the water running, I couldn't see any leaks. What I think she heard was a drip from the drain line out of the kitchen sink that was hitting a 45 degree elbow drain where the line comes out of the wall and goes under the house. Further looking didn't find any sign of wet or rotten wood, or any wetness at all. I think I can cross that little job off.

The next little problem was evidence of a slight water hammer when the toilet in the hall was flushed. Looking this issue up on Yahoo gave me several tips on how to fix it. But, there is a bigger issue that we didn't know about before today. When the toilet is flushed, water leaks by the seal and runs out on the moisture barrier on the ground. I took the toilet apart and found that the wax ring had been installed improperly, allowing the water to leak. I repaired the issue with the water hammer, but I'll have to get a new wax ring tomorrow so I can repair that item. At least we don't have to use that bathroom, since we still have the master bath available.

So far, those are the only problems we have found in the new home base. We've got our fingers crossed.

I had hoped to trim the shrubs in front of the house, but ran out of ambition before I got to that. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day. If the weather stays nice.

I had to go in to town to run a couple of errands this morning. One place I needed to go was to the library so I could drop off some books and checkout more. What I didn't know was that the library doesn't open on Monday until 1300 hours, and I was an hour early. Not wanting to wait an hour, I went home. Again, maybe I can do it tomorrow.

Carolyn made a really nice chicken salad for supper, along with garlic bread and Romaine lettuce salad. Pretty good stuff.

If this nice weather keeps up, I may go get the RV and start getting it ready to travel. I know I'm ready to hit the road.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Las Vegas, Nevada: Capital Of Second Chances

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: