Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sick, Again

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 50 degrees, high 65 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

Well, this is the first post in three days, and that's unusual for me. Except for being sick or unable to get an Internet signal, I have posted every day since I started the blog. The total number of missed posts now equals about seven.

Why didn't I post the last three days? A little matter of being sick, and having many medical tests performed to try to find the reason. I have been having some problems for a while, and like most people, I waited until I couldn't go any longer before going to the doctor. I had a general idea of what my ailment was, and had an appointment in two weeks to see a doctor for a second visit about it. However, I got worse, and called to see if I could see the doctor sooner. An hour later, I was in his office, being given a barrage of checks and tests. I walked in to the doctor's office, and shortly after, was being moved in to ICU in a wheel chair. How's that for a kick in the pants? I didn't realize I was as sick as I was.

Without going in to too many details, the problem concerns my heart. I remained in ICU all day, and was released late in the evening the same day as my condition stabilized enough so I could go home and be ready for more tests at the cardiac unit of Huntsville Hospital the next morning.

The next morning, which was Friday, I underwent more tests. Some possible reasons for the problems were ruled out, but one test revealed a problem that happened several years ago that I had been unaware of. Luckily, I did not have to undergo any treatment after the tests, and was released late in the day.

So, what does all this mean? I'm not sure yet, as more tests are scheduled, and my doctor will have to review the results of everything that has been done so far. I do know that I don't feel any better. I have a lot of problems sleeping with the symptoms that I am experiencing, so I have gotten very little sleep over the past week. Help for the symptoms will have to wait until we find out what's causing them.

I did find out that apparently my lifestyle habits were a plus as far as preventing worse damage to my heart. But..... Like many men, I put off going to the doctor when I should have, often finding a reason for what I felt, or rationalizing why I didn't need to see a doctor, when perhaps I should have. You can bet I won't do that again.

Sometimes, getting sick brings unexpected bonuses. Our daughter Terri and her son Thomas, who live in Tuscaloosa, were going to visit next weekend. With my stuff going on, they decided to visit this weekend. It's great to have them here. Then,
our daughter Lori and her family will be here tomorrow from Bay City, Texas so Lori see for herself that Dad is okay. That touches me deeply. We were planning to go to Texas in a couple of weeks, but with what I'm going through, we may have to put that trip off for a short time.

So, that catches up what we have been doing. It's not nearly as much fun as RVing.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Beaufort, South Carolina: 300 Years Of History By The Sea

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: