Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cold, Wet, Rainy

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 45 degrees, high 52 degrees, heavy clouds, rain, strong winds gusting to 35 mph

Today was not a good one to be out and about. Yet, I did go into town to the bank and library. This cold weather means we're reading even more than normal, because it's just too cold to do much outside.

Sitting in the dining room and looking out at the cold, gray, rainy, windy day (how's that for a number of adjectives to describe a cruddy day?), I couldn't help but think of how nice the weather was when we visited Big Bend National Park last winter. The weather at that time was just perfect, with clear, warm days, low humidity, and cold nights that made you want to snuggle under the covers. This weather makes you want to snuggle under the covers, too, but that's where the similarities end.

I was intrigued by the stories I had heard and read about Big Bend, but knew better than to go there in the summer. Carolyn would have probably pulled a mutiny on me if I had insisted on going when it was hot. Even though I'm the captain of our ship, it is with the understanding that Carolyn allows me to claim that title. Just kidding!

In addition to the park, I wanted to see what the town of Alpine was about. Can you imagine a town in Texas with the name of Alpine? My research made me want to go even more, because I couldn't miss seeing the Alps of Texas.

One other thing I wanted to see was the lights of Marfa. I had heard about these mysterious lights for a long time, and wanted to see them, if for no other reason than to say I went there and saw them.

I have to say our trip to Big Bend, Alpine, and Marfa was outstanding. Big Bend was much more than I expected. Located at the end of long, lonely roads, this is one of the largest national parks, yet one of the least visited. The highlight of that visit was the Chisos Basin, a paradise located in the desert.

We stayed in Alpine for about a week, and I came away from there with a much greater appreciation for the area and the people who live there. If it wasn't so far from everything, it would be just about the perfect place to live in Texas. Of course, that isolation might be what appealed to me so much.

Marfa was more than the mysterious lights. Sure, people go there to see them, but how many people knew that the movie Giant was filmed there? Plus other films, as well. The night we saw the lights, I thought I would freeze, it was so cold. And just beyond the viewing area for the lights was an old army air base that we couldn't see until I looked up the area on Google. As far as the lights are concerned, we saw them, and have no explanation for them. It wasn't weird or scary, but it was interesting.

Are you starting to get an idea why we love to RV so much? It's memories, experiences, going places we've never been, meeting people we wouldn't have, and doing it in our own little house on wheels.

I can't wait to get back out on the road.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Alpine, Texas: In The Alps Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: