Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ruby Tuesday"s

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 24 degrees, high 50 degrees, mostly clear skies

The sun was shining today! Will wonders never cease?

The sun made us want to get out a little today. Carolyn has been wanting to go to Ruby Tuesday's in Athens, so we went there for lunch. We were lucky to get there before 1100 hours, which means that we just beat the lunch rush. If we had been 30 minutes later, we would have had to wait for a table, or found another place to go.

It has been years since we last ate at Ruby's, so we didn't quite know what to expect. As I have said before, I'm not a fan of these chain restaurants, preferring to try the local places in an effort to find the gems that make you want to go back. However, sometimes, I have to go where Carolyn wants so I can keep trying the local places. So, don't be surprised if we try a local place soon.

When we went in to Ruby's, it was just as I remembered. It seems all these chain places are the same, no matter where they are located. A little brass, some greenery, dark wood, music playing in the background (I have no idea what was playing because it was so quiet), some kind of patterned carpet on the floor.... I think you get the idea.

Since it had been so long since our last visit to Ruby's, we took a few minutes to look at the menu. They were really pushing their brunch menu, but it's hard for me to order something that can't make up it's mind when it's supposed to be eaten. After looking over the menu and realizing that it contained no semblance to what I remembered from the last time, I looked through it until I found the sandwich section. Aha, this is more like it. About the only thing I found that I wanted was a bacon cheeseburger.

I have to say that the hamburgers were cooked perfectly. Carolyn will only eat meat that is dead, Dead, DEAD!. That means it has to be charred to a semblance of what it used to be. I, on the other hand, like my beef to be cooked medium rare. As I said, both of them were cooked exactly as we requested, and mine had just a touch of pink. The burgers were very good, as were the fries, and the drink glasses never ran out. The service was outstanding. We brought about half the food home, since neither of us likes to eat a lot for lunch.

Will we go back? Carolyn says yes, so I guess we will. First, though, we're going to a local place. It's my turn, now.

After eating, we took a short ride on one of the numerous country roads that we hadn't been on before. I guess if we live here for another ten years, we might go down all the roads. When we got home, the weather felt warm enough outside that I cleaned up the shop where I park the truck. I had thoughts of cleaning up the truck, but got over that when I saw that rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. No need in doing work that will be wasted.

The Super Bowl has dominated the sports news for the last few weeks, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm glad it's finished. By the way, who won? But, who cares?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Miami, Florida: The Magic City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: