Monday, February 7, 2011

Garbage Day

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 34 degrees, high 45 degrees, cloudy skies, scattered rain showers, windy

Just as I was turning over in the bed and thinking I would get another half hour of sleep this morning, I realized that today was garbage day. Putting the garbage out is one of my jobs, and once that little bit of reality nosed it's way in to my sub-conscious, there was no chance of more sleep. Carolyn would have taken the garbage out if I hadn't gotten up, but I can't have her doing my job. After all, this marriage is a union.

Since I had gotten up a little earlier than usual, I went a little farther with the madness by taking a walk of almost an hour in the cold, windy weather. Fortunately, I'm able to dress warmly for this type of weather, but today was the first time I've walked in about a week because it has been so cold. I guess it really was madness that had me out there this morning. I can't promise I'll do the same thing tomorrow.

Once I got back from the walk, I spent about two hours recuperating from the infrequent exercise and cold. Then, I went to town to pick up a couple of things at Lowe's and a few groceries at the grocery store. We are fortunate to have a Lowe's here, since the closest Lowe's or Home Depot elsewhere is about 20 miles away in Madison. I'll do just about anything to avoid going to Madison because of the traffic.

While I was at the grocery store, I saw that they had fresh collard greens. We have been wanting some collards for a while, but everything I found until today was always old and wilted. The ones I found today were fresh, and there are plenty of them for a good pot full. I got them home too late to prepare today, but they will be cooked tomorrow. Good eats coming up!

Before I came home, I stopped at the library to get more books to read. Even though their choices seem a little limited, I still keep finding books to read. We're going to be traveling before too long, so we're saving our personal books to take in the RV with us. Also, when the weather warms up and people start having yard sales again, I'll be buying books for traveling. Some of our best books were found in yard sales or purchased at libraries all across the country.

One of my favorite foods is meat loaf. We hadn't prepared that in some time, so we decided that the meat for supper was going be meat loaf. I prepared the meat loaf, while Carolyn prepared potato salad and green beans. Not bad at all, and plenty left for tomorrow.

Did you hear about New York Times columnist Paul Krugman blaming global warming for the Egyptian riots? That's strange, I thought the riots were because the people wanted the old regime out and democracy or something like it in it's place.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Asheville, North Carolina: Land Of Apples

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: