Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toilet From Hell

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 32 degrees, high 62 degrees, partly cloudy skies

I got a good reminder today of why we enjoyed not having the responsibility of taking care of a house for several years while full time RVing. The home base we recently bought was in good shape when we bought it about three months ago. That means it had new paint, new carpet, new wood and tile floors, all new appliances, new heat pump and air conditioner, and just about anything else that could be replaced. So, there wasn't much for us to do to the house since we've been here.

That is, until yesterday. I wrote in yesterday's post that we had to do some repairs to the guest toilet when I discovered that the wax ring seal was faulty, allowing water to leak on to the ground in the crawl space.

I discovered this morning that the washers around the bolts holding the tank to the toilet were allowing a small leak. Deciding that it was best to put new parts in, I took the tank off the toilet, which involved removing bolts that were so rusted that I couldn't use a screw driver for help. Instead, I had to use vice grips to hold the bolts while I removed the nuts from the bottom of the bolts.

Finally, the bolts were removed and I wen to town to get more bolts and a wax ring to reset the toilet so the leak in that area would be stopped. As might be expected, the wax ring replacement was uneventful, and that problem seems to be resolved.

The installation of the tank bolts was not as easy as it might have been, since the directions included in the hardware package gave the wrong sequence of parts for installing the bolts. In other words, the directions said to use a metal washer inside between the tank and the rubber washer included to prevent leaks. Following the directions resulted in a worse leak than we had to start with. So, I followed my instincts, which I should have done to start with, and removed the metal washers, leaving the rubber washers to stop leaks. Success!!

Now, the toilet is sitting there with water in the tank, waiting for me to check it tomorrow to see if any other leaks show up. My fingers are crossed that the problems are fixed.

I know this was what seems to be a long, drawn out explanation of an issue we had today. My relating it was to remind myself that we don't want to get too complacent, just because we have been in a house for a couple of months. Things can and do go bad in a house, just like in an RV. However, for some reason, it seems easier in the RV when something needs to be repaired. It could be that I stay on top of repairs in the RV, not allowing things to get to the point that it becomes so difficult.

I'm ready to get back out on the road.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Reedsport, Oregon: Gateway To The Dunes

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: