Wednesday, February 9, 2011

USB wifi Adapter

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 22 degrees, high 35 degrees, cloudy, breezy, snow

I wanted to continue my good health efforts of the past few days with my walks, but decided to check the weather before setting out for another trek. Good thing I checked, because when I was planning on going out, the wind chill was in the low 20s. I learned my lesson yesterday, when the wind chill was in the high 20s, and I could hardly talk when I got home. That meant no walk today, but at least I didn't almost get frost bite.

Instead of the walk, I puttered on the computer some, finding that the internal wifi card was not working correctly. Actually, the switch turned off on it's own, and nothing I did fixed the problem. I went to the HP website, but all I found there was plenty of other HP users with the same problem. Apparently, there is a problem with the software, and HP has chosen to ignore it. They will allow you to ship the computer back to them so they can fix it, but the cost is more than a new computer. Many of the frustrated users installed an external USB wifi card that bypassed the internal wifi card, so wireless signals can be received. The cost was much less than what HP wanted to charge, by a factor of about ten.

So, I drove into town and picked up a USB wifi adapter and installed it in the computer. The installation was fairly easy, even for a non-geek like me. When I attempted to connect to our router, I discovered that the router was not working correctly. I did some poking around and troubleshooting, but it still didn't work. Eventually, I gave up for the day. I may have to reinstall the router, but that's a last resort.

The snowfall started today about 1540 hours, and the area is expected to have accumulations of about three inches. Carolyn says she's sick of the snow. I don't mind the snow, and believe me, it's better than an ice storm. The snow shouldn't last on the ground more than a couple of days, as the weekend is supposed to be sunny.

The rest of the day was spent like a typical cold winter day - reading, surfing the web, television, etc. Someday, the weather will warm up enough for us to bring the RV home so we can get it ready to travel. I know we're ready to hit the road.

More later, be safe,

Today's Town - Cuero, Texas: Turkey Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: