Friday, February 25, 2011

Storm

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 43 degrees, high 51 degrees, cloudy early, then partly cloudy skies

What a storm we had pass through here last! Wind to 65 mph, heavy rain, hail, lightning, thunder. It was almost as bad as a summer Texas afternoon shower. Then, to top it off, the tornado sirens went off, prompting everyone but me to get out of bed and gather in the hall. I, on the other hand, turned over and tried to go to sleep. Sleep has been scarce for me for the last two weeks, and I wasn't going to miss a chance to get some. About ten minutes after the sirens sounded, everyone else went back to bed.

I don't mean to sound cavalier about the weather, but I have seen many examples where people though they were doing the right thing by fleeing from bad weather, only to be injured or killed by something else. I will seek shelter if we're in the RV, but there have been very few times that we have had to go elsewhere.

Lori and her family left this morning, on their way back to Texas, school, and jobs. It was really nice having them here this week. The house seemed a little subdued when they were gone. I'm sure we were, too. This modern way of life sucks, sometimes, when families are separated due to economic reasons, like jobs.

In an effort to buck up our spirits a little, we spent the morning cleaning house and washing clothes. The two spare bedrooms are ready for company if anyone shows up.

I slept a little better last night, compared to what I have been getting. How does almost five hours sound? It felt good to me, since that is the most sleep I have gotten in two weeks. Now, if I can just build on that.

This afternoon, I spoke on the telephone to Carol, a long-time reader of the blog who lives with her husband in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. They are RVers, also, and have chosen to keep their stick built home. I had a great conversation with Carol, and look forward to meeting her and her husband in person someday down the road.

I enjoyed the call, Carol. Again, good luck with the new truck. I'm sure it will do the job for you.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Chattanooga, Tennessee: The Attraction’s Only Natural

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Carol Higginbotham said...

I so enjoyed the conversation that we had this afternoon and thanks was the comments about us in you blog. I guess that meeting you and Carolyn will not happen as the dealer has agreeded to meet us in South Pittsburg So I think that we will go ahead and drive To Murfresboro to show the truck to our family as they helped guide us in the right direction to purchase a diesel. Maybe we can make plans at a later date. I was really looking forward too meeting you and Carolyn. Thanks so much for the phone call!! I am praying for the doctors to be able to find out what your problem is and that you annd Carolyn will soon be able to scratch that itch!! Thanks so much for sharing your life's happenings with us. Hope to see you soon.