Monday, May 9, 2011

Atlanta, Again

Atlanta, Georgia

Weather: low 60 degrees in Elkmont, high 85 degrees in Atlanta, clear skies

We left home headed to Atlanta about 0830 hours this morning, immediately after the garbage was picked up. We didn't want to leave our garbage container by the street for two days. A quick stop was made in Athens so we could get a breakfast sandwich at Hardee's. I was able to eat all the sandwich, which made Carolyn happy. Me, too.

Leaving at that time of the day meant that we missed all the rush hours, both in Birmingham and Atlanta. We made a stop about 75 miles east of Birmingham so I could rest my eyes, but it wasn't very refreshing, as the temperature is starting to go up. Another stop was made at the Georgia welcome center on I-20, and that stop was more restful, as I was able to find a place with some shade. I closed my eyes for about 20 minutes, and Carolyn said I went to sleep. If so, that's okay, because I haven't slept well in some time. I'll take every nap I can get.

We saw a Dairy Queen about five miles later, and decided to stop and get me a milkshake. Bad mistake, as this was the worse milkshake I had ever had. The thing was too sweet, and already melting by the time Carolyn brought it back to the truck. These Dairy Queens in the east don't hold a candle to the ones in Texas. We would have stopped at Sonic, but we didn't see one all the way across east Alabama or west Georgia.

We arrived at our hotel about 1430 hours, where we checked in. The first order of business for me was some cold water, then a nap of about an hour. About 1730 hours, we went back to the restaurant that we used last week. We made more bad choices, but then that's not too hard to do when my appetite's as bad as it is now. It was not the fault of the restaurant, and I explained that to the waitress. She seemed to understand, because she said they got a lot of people from the clinic with the same problems.

When we got back to our hotel, I tried to write the blog, but was just too tired. I put it off until I was up near midnight and felt better. I would hate to think I had to give up the blog, because I enjoy writing it. If I miss a day now and then, don't worry. I'll be back as soon as possible. Of course, I don't plan to miss any days, but I know how this illness kicks my tail. On top of that, the medicine to control the atrial fibrillation is beating me down. I'm going to see my cardiac doctor when we get back home to see if he can make some changes that will give me more energy and a better quality of life.

My appointment tomorrow is 1040 hours, at which time we're supposed to review all the tests, and agree on a treatment plan. As I said yesterday, I'm hopeful, but anxious at the same time. What does the future hold?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Atlanta, Georgia: Dogwood City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: