Friday, May 13, 2011

Oncologist Visit

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 63 degrees, high 88 degrees, mostly clear skies

It’s funny (strange?) how when you take a car to the shop for repairs, and the car won’t make the noise or action that you want repaired. Well, today the same thing happened when I went to the doctor to complain about my medicine. For the most part, the symptoms are better, and he convinced me to stay on the medicine a little longer in an effort to use something that he thinks is good for me.

Since the tornado outbreak, we had not been east of I-65, so had no idea of the damage that had been done in the eastern part of Limestone County, the county we live in. We got a good idea of that damage today, as we saw several houses that were blown away or collapsed piles of rubble. The area is going to be a while recovering from this tragedy. I couldn’t bring myself to take pictures of the damage.

We had an appointment in Huntsville with the oncologist that is going to administer the chemo drugs for my Amyloidosis. The drugs are similar to what is used for myeloma, since the two diseases mimic each other. The oncologist explained the process that I will be going through, with me being administered one drug intravenously and other two taken orally. If everything goes well, I will receive the drugs once a week for 12 weeks, then go back to Atlanta for a full workup to see how I’m doing. The oncologist said he will be able to tell me week to week how the disease is reacting, so that made me feel better about having to wait so long.

Oh, by the way – the treatments start Monday, May 16, 1911.

It was after 1700 hours by the time my appointment was finished, so we got stuck on the moving parking lot named University Boulevard. The first chance we got, we stopped and had supper, so by the time we came out, traffic was much better. By the time we got home, all we wanted to do was collapse for the rest of the day. I didn’t know I could get so tired.

More later, be safe.

Today’s Town – Huntsville, Alabama: The Sky Is Not The Limit

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: