Monday, May 2, 2011

Preps For Trip To Atlanta

Elkmont, Alabama
Weather: low 63 degrees, high 81 degrees, partly cloudy skies

Most of our day was spent resting and getting ready for our trip to Atlanta. We expect to leave in the morning about 0500 hours. While I'm over there, more testing will be performed, including a bone marrow biopsy. We will be staying in Atlanta tomorrow night, with an early start home on Wednesday. Then, we do it all over again next week. But, the alternative is to have no hope, and now I do have some hope. As I told the doctors, I'll go anywhere, do anything, anytime they want me to.

I attempted to rent a car to drive to Atlanta tomorrow, but the need for cars by tornado victims is acute. As one man told me, he had five cars sitting in his driveway, and couldn't drive any of them. The second story of a house across the street was blown in to his, resulting in a total loss. It's a miracle they weren't killed.

The cleanup from the storms continues, but that is going to be a long term project. The damage is so much worse than we would have thought. Huntsville still only has about 30% of their electrical power back, so many of those folks are staying and eating in the Athens area. Traffic is much heavier than normal, and business is booming. I'm sure everyone wishes things were back to normal.

One side benefit of the bad weather last week is that the weather this week has been outstanding. And, we're expecting lows in the high 30s on Tuesday night. I keep thinking Blackberry Winter is here, only to be fooled by another cool front passing through.

More later, be safe. Pay attention to those weather warnings.

Today's Town - Cullman, Alabama: City Of Churches

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: