Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back From Atlanta

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 65 degrees in Atlanta, high 89 degrees in Elkmont, mostly clear skies

After another restless night, we were up and about by 0700 hours this morning. The bed slept better than the one we had last week, and we didn't have to use the pads we took with us.

I did my best to keep quiet so Carolyn could sleep, but I don't think I succeeded too well. She seems to be tuned in to what I'm doing at all times.

We checked out the menu for breakfast at the hotel, but weren't impressed. So, we drove down to McDonald's and got some egg McMuffins. I managed to eat all of mine, as I'm trying to get a little weight on, or at least not lose anymore.

When we got back to the hotel, the hotel called a taxi for us so we wouldn't have to fight with trying to park the truck in those little spaces in the parking garages. We were almost an hour early to the clinic, but we were called back in about ten minutes after we got there.

We met with my doctor, and he explained I don't have myeloma, and the extent of the spread of the Amyloidosis. We knew I was being affected in my heart, and suspected the same for my kidneys. The kidneys were confirmed today. So, two major organs affected by this terrible disease. Next, the doctor went over his preferred treatment option, with which he has had about a 70% success rate. If the treatment works, I wouldn't feel better immediately, but as time went by, the organs would tend to repair some of the damage, and that's when I would start to feel better. The downside is that about 30% of patients can't tolerate the chemo drugs. So, my task is to get myself built up as much as much as possible before treatment starts. I don't have much time to do it, as I meet with the oncologist on Thursday in Huntsville.

In three months, we go back to Atlanta for followup testing. If the treatment is working, we'll stay on it. If it's not working, we'll try something new.

Overall, a positive meeting in Atlanta, and now something's about to begin. I have no idea where this treatment will lead us, but I know I can't stay on the same path I'm on now.

I was very tired after the trip to Atlanta, but now I have a direction to go. Tired is better than some of the alternatives.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Gainesville, Georgia: Poultry Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: