Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothr's Day

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 57 degrees, high 80 degrees, clear skies

Today was a bad one for me, as I felt under the weather. I had that bothersome cough that doesn't produce anything, except for making me sore all over. About mid-afternoon, I finally tried some cough drops, and got the cough under control. I didn't have much of an appetite, but did what I could with food so Carolyn wouldn't worry about me. In addition, I stopped trying to be tough by not using pain pills that were given to me, and they helped. I took a nap, and that helped somewhat. Then an early night to bed, as I'm writing this post to the blog during one of my occasional times up during the night.

Terri and Thomas were here overnight, and it was nice to see them. Carolyn was able to do a little shopping with Terri, as Thomas and I waited for them in the car. We had lunch in town, helping celebrate Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. Don't be afraid to tell you mother that you love them. I've wished many times that I had told my mother more when she was living.

Roger and Judy came over after lunch, and it was probably not the best of visits for them. I was out of it, and not the best company. They understood, but it doesn't make me feel any better about being a good host.

Then, Traci came over late in the afternoon, as she brought us two pads to go on the hotel bed when we're in Atlanta tomorrow night. I'm hoping the bed will be more comfortable than last week, but if not, the pads are going on the bed. No more sleeping on a torture rack. In addition, we chose another hotel to make reservations at, so that might make a difference.

Another thing Traci did was bring us a spare stethoscope so Carolyn could listen to my heart easier. She has been taught to recognize what atrial fibrillation sounds like, so we can try to get help sooner, if needed. We recognize that Carolyn's not a trained medical professional, but this is one more tool for us to use. The stethoscope does not take the place of going to the doctor.

We will be leaving for Atlanta about mid-morning tomorrow, taking our time and letting me rest as needed. My appointment with the doctors is at 1040 hours Tuesday, when we expect to get the results of all the tests. In addition, we expect a treatment plan to be presented, with most of the treatment taking place in Huntsville. We'll go back to Atlanta every three months for more testing and evaluation. If the treatment is working, nothing changes. If it's not, then a new treatment plan will be implemented. I'm hopeful, but anxious as we approach the appointment time.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Houston, Texas: Golden Buckle Of The Sunbelt

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Carol Higginbotham said...

Praying for the two of you as you trek over to Atlanta! Praying for the help that you need to fight this disease so that hopefully you will be able to resume a more normal lifestyle! Travel safe!!