Monday, May 16, 2011

First Treatment

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 52 degrees, high 54 degrees, cloudy, light showers, cool

We were at the bank when they opened this morning, seeking help on signing and notarizing important legal papers concerning medical treatment and so forth. It took about 30 minutes to get everything done, and then we left to go to my first treatment session at the cancer center.

We arrived at the cancer center early, and had a little wait as the place was busy. Whenever you go to a facility like this, look at the general ages of the people being treated. Most of them are older, and we see very few younger patients. The older a person is, the more likely it is that they will have to be treated for a life threatening disease.

When I was finally called, most of my time was spent getting acquainted with what the facility offers for patient comfort, and precautions to follow when taking treatment so I'll know what to do when specific examples come up, like a fever. The drugs were explained again, and I found that what I'm taking are some of the more benign cancer drugs as far as causing nausea and side effects. On the other hand, instead of taking drugs just one day a week, I'll be taking two of them multiple days, with one being taken four days a week. So, that leaves three days a week that I won't be taking any drugs for Amyloidosis.

A cycle of drugs is four weeks, then the cycle starts again. I will do three cycles, then go back to Atlanta to Emory University Medical Center for testing and evaluation on whether to keep doing what we're doing, or make changes.

How long is this all expected to go on? I have no idea.

We didn't get of of the cancer center until almost 1400 hours, so we stopped at Rosie's Cantina for a late lunch. Not bad, but not Texas, either.

When we got home after 1530 hours, we found that Fedex had tried to deliver the I-Pad that I ordered last week. It has to be signed for, so they will bring it back tomorrow. I'm looking forward to playing with it, since my oncologist told me I can use it at the cancer clinic on their public wifi. Cool!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Port Clinton, Ohio: Walleye Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: