Saturday, May 7, 2011

Found Child's Sneaker

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 46 degrees, high 72 degrees, clear skies

I had a good night's sleep, only getting up once for about an hour. After going back to bed at 0300 hours, I was able to sleep until 0700 hours. That may not seem like much, but it helps me.

I felt halfway decent this morning, so we spent some time getting our medical records and costs in order. It appears that we will have enough medical costs this year to be able to itemize our taxes for the year. Believe me when I say that I would rather not be itemizing, because it might mean I wasn't as sick.

After lunch, I used some washing powder to treat fire ant hills in the yard. We used the washing powder for years in Texas, and it seems to do a good job, without worrying about poisoning animals or birds. In about a week, the hills should be dead.

Terri and Thomas came up from Tuscaloosa in the early afternoon, and they had many stories as well as video of the tornado that struck their area last week. We can tell that they are still deeply affected by the things they have seen.

They brought me two large milkshakes from Sonic, and I got busy drinking one of them. I learned today that if I'm going to eat supper with any appetite at all, I need to eat things like a milkshake earlier in the day. Those things tend to stick with you, and I was still full at suppertime. I managed to eat enough to keep Carolyn from fussing at me too much. Anyway, no milkshakes after 1200 hours, unless that is all I'm eating.

When Traci mowed our yard yesterday, she picked up some debris that fell out of the sky last week during the tornado outbreak. One thing she found was a child's sneaker in the back yard. When she first found the shoe, she was afraid there might be something in it, like a foot. Luckily, there wasn't. We hope the child is okay.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Jonestown, Texas: Gateway To The Hill Country

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: