Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Back In Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia

Weather: low 54 degrees, high 80 degrees, afternoon showers, cooling off to 40 degrees by morning

We got an early start this morning, leaving home about 0450 hours on our way to Atlanta and more medical stuff. At that time of the morning, traffic was light, and we were able to get through Birmingham before the morning rush hour hit there. With the early start, we were able to pace ourselves, and when I felt myself start to fade, we would stop and allow me to stretch out on the seat until I felt better.

We arrived at our hotel about noon, and since I had called ahead and asked if we could check in at that time, a room was ready. Since we were a little early, which was planned, I was able to take a short nap before going to Emory Clinic. The nap helped me, and at 1300 hours, we called a cab to take us to the clinic.

Once at the clinic, things moved at a good clip. I had samples from home which were checked in. Then, blood samples were drawn for more lab work. At least this week, they only took eight vials, versus eleven last week.

When the lab work was completed, we were taken to the bone marrow biopsy area. Ouch! It hurts just to say those words. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. When I was being prepped for the biopsy, I was asked if I wanted use just a local anesthetic that would numb the affected area where the biopsy would take place, or a general that would make me sleep while the procedure was going on. I decided to cowboy up and just use the local. That was a good choice, as the pain was minimal, and I was able to walk out within ten minutes after the procedure was finished. That also means I can drive now instead of having to wait 24 hours.

Someone asked me if a lot of bone marrow was taken for the test, and I said I didn't know, since I had never experienced it before. The volume that was pulled seemed like a lot to me, but what do I know?

We called a cab to take us back to the hotel, where we rested until supper time. Supper was a surprise, because we went to a place named Evans Fine Dining, which turned out to be a typical neighborhood diner. It was a nice surprise, since the food was good, cheap, and plentiful. And the best thing of all was that I could actually eat what I ordered. I should say I ate most of it, and that's much better than I ave been doing. Maybe we should hang around here a few days so I can get some strength and energy back.

We'll return home tomorrow, taking our time as I try not to overdo it. I have another appointment next Tuesday, when the doctor will present his findings, and hopefully, a treatment plan. If everything goes as we hope, a treatment plan will be administered by doctors near our home, while we will return here for more tests and checkups to see how the treatment is going.

So, that was our day. Early, busy, and tiring.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Atlanta, Georgia: The Big Peach

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: