Saturday, March 6, 2010

Alcatraz Island And The Bridge

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 48 degrees, high 62 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

Most people have heard of Alcatraz Island, where many of the the worst criminals were in prison. Just as many people, if not more, have heard of the Golden Gate Bridge, at the mouth of San Francisco Bay. We were fortunate enough to see both of these landmarks on the same day. How did we do that? In 2004, we wanted to go to San Francisco to do the tourist thing, but didn't want to fight the traffic in the city. So, we took the ferry from Vallejo, located across the bay, into the city. Our route took us by Alcatraz Island, and we were able to see the Golden Gate Bridge at the same time. Neat!!



It's easy to criticize the way things are done in California, as well as the politics, lifestyles, and any number of other things. Having said that, there are several things we like about the state, including the northern part of the state, the natural beauty, the climate, the small towns, and the people. If we're fortunate enough, we want to go back and experience the state again. It's almost as good as Texas.

We were pretty busy today, starting with the long morning walk. I sure miss those walks when I'm working. I do some of my best thinking when I'm walking along, enjoying being outside. When I returned from the walk, we took the laundry to the laundromat and got that chore out of the way. After lunch, I checked to see if the service facility installed the oil pan plug properly, since we have had a couple of instances where the plug wasn't tightened, resulting in an oil leak. No problems today.

By the time that chore was finished, it was time for some meditation. Got to take advantage of the opportunity every chance I get. When the meditation was completed, I went up on the roof to check the caulking to make sure there were no cracks that would cause the roof to leak. The caulking looked good, so while I was up there, I lubricated the gears and mechanism for the TV antenna. Then, the vent crank for the bathroom was acting up, so I lubricated it. After a squirt or two of WD-40, it worked like new.

By the time all that was done, I thought I would be ready to stop for the day. Nope, when I got on the ground, I realized the basement needed cleaning and straightening (again), so I did that little job before going in. Now, I was ready to stop.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - San Francisco, California: Fog City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: