Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eureka!

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 40 degrees, high 60 degrees, partly cloudy

When we were in Eureka, California, we were impressed by the climate, the friendliness of the people, the natural beauty, and Eureka, itself. This picture is of one of the many Victorian style homes in the town.



Now, having told you what we liked about the Eureka area, here's one thing we didn't like. We have never seen as many young people panhandling (begging) as we saw in Eureka. I asked one of the long-time residents what attracted the young people to the area, and he said it was because of the availability of marijuana in Humboldt County, where Eureka is located. What made the begging even worse was the fact that the free loaders would get belligerent if they weren't given any money. Needless to say, I made a lot of them angry.

The job I'm on now works a normal schedule of ten hours a day, four days a week. That means if we're not involved in a shutdown, we get three days a week off. So, that's the schedule I'm on for the next three weeks, leading up to the shut down starting about three weeks from now. Once the shutdown starts, I'll work 13 hours a day, six days a week until the shutdown is over, 5 to 6 weeks after it begins. I'm getting too old for this stuff! This will probably be the last one for me.

In the meantime, today was more catching up in changes to the planning since the last shutdown and reviewing schedules. I'm ready for the shutdown to begin. The sooner it starts, the sooner I'll be finished and can get back to the retired and drifting life.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Eureka! (I Have Found It!)

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: