Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Deer Lodge, Montana

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 47 degrees, high 70 degrees, mostly clear skies

Before we went to sleep last night, it was cool enough that Carolyn decided to put a blanket on the bed. When we got up this morning, we were surprised by how cool it got overnight. That blanket felt good!

I was tired when I got home from work. It seemed that we were very busy today, and I spent more time on my feet than I have since I've been back. We were told today that more than 1100 temporary workers are on-site to support the shutdown, so we should have plenty of help once the outage work starts. That's important, because in the last few years, it has been difficult for the plants to fully staff for their shutdowns. The shutdown starts on the night of March 27, so it's not that much longer. Yes!!

One morning in Idaho, we were getting ready to leave the previous night's camp ground when I noticed that a tire on the RV was almost flat. I changed the tire and decided to take a chance on not getting the flat repaired until we stopped that evening. Normally, we wouldn't move without a good spare, but that particular time, we decided to tempt fate. Luckily, we didn't have any more tire problems that day, so when we were parked that evening, I took the tire to a tire store in Deer Lodge, Montana. I explained my problem to the store manager, and they took care of the repair, which was a nail puncture. When the tire was repaired, I asked how much I owed, and was told there was no charge. Huh? No, wait a minute, how much do I owe you? Again, the answer was no charge. I told the person I was dealing with that he couldn't support his store like that, and he said it was no problem, and enjoy our stay in the area. I even tried to tip the worker who repaired the tire, and he wouldn't take it. Do you think we have a favorable image of that little town? We stayed a day longer than we had intended because of the service we received at the tire store.

While we were in Deer Lodge, we went to the old Montana State Prison, which has been replaced by a new prison west of town. In addition, we visited the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site, which covered over one million acres of land at one time. The town reminded me of many of the little Texas towns that we see. If it didn't get so cold in the winter, it would be a place for us to consider as a home base. Hmmmm - we're RVers. We can consider any place as our home base. Something to think about. That doesn't mean we have to stay there in the winter.

This picture is of the main street in Deer Lodge. Looks familiar, doesn't it?



The area around Deer Lodge has been featured in several movies, including Rancho Deluxe and Heaven's Gate.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Deer Lodge, Montana: Museum Capital Of Southwestern Montana

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: