Friday, March 19, 2010

Doctor's Visit

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 47 degrees, high 72 degrees, partly cloudy to mostly cloudy skies, breezy

The Texas gulf coast is a great place to live and visit. Stretching from the Louisiana border at the Sabine River to the mouth of the Rio Grande River at Brownsville, there's plenty to see and do. Obviously, water sports such as fishing, boating, diving, and swimming are foremost on most people's list of things they like to do. In many ways, the Texas coast reminds me of what the undeveloped Florida gulf coast was like before runaway development there changed it.

Now, having said how great a place the coast is to live and work, there are some definite downsides that we found out about by living here for a long time. There are world class mosquitoes here that attack like killer bees. The weather is so wet that it rains here when it's not raining any other place in Texas. The winters are usually wet and cold. Golf is a challenge most days because the wind blows so hard. And, then there's the allergies. We have never experienced respiratory problems like we have here that are caused by allergies. Examples include pine, oak, and cedar tree pollen, flower pollen, crop residue, mold, mildew, dust, and chemical plant effluent.

Why am I writing about allergies AGAIN? After posting yesterday's blog entry, I watched a little television, then went to bed. Five minutes after lying down, I started coughing and couldn't breathe. I thought I was getting over the allergy problems that I had been suffering with for the last ten days or so, but it was obvious the problems were not ready to turn me loose yet. Finally, I got out of the bed so I could breathe. A few minutes later, I lay back down, and again had problems breathing. Carolyn suggested I prop up some pillows in the bed and try to sleep leaning against them. No luck.

I tried using my recliner in the living room, and that seemed to help me breathe a little better, but didn't help with the cough. Late in the night, I went to the WalMart Mall to see what they had that might help with the congestion and cough. The Mall had some over the counter stuff that I picked up, because I was looking for relief wherever I could find it. The upshot of the night's problems is that I got about an hour's sleep, and felt so bad this morning.

When we lived here, I had a doctor I used when the allergy problems would hit. I was at his office when they opened this morning, and was taken right in to see the doctor. He told me my problem was the allergies causing all the symptoms I described earlier. Of course, I knew that already, but he's go to do his thing. Springing into action, the doctor did several things, including giving me an injection, prescribing two prescriptions, and advising me how to handle the allergies in other ways. I don't remember what was in the injection, but it seems to have already made a positive difference. If I'm not better by Monday, I have to go see the doctor again. Here's hoping that tonight will be better.

If any of the readers plan to move to the Texas coast or spend more than a few days, be aware that if you live here long enough, you will be attacked by the dreaded allergies. I can tell you from several close encounters that they will knock you for a loop.

I hope people don't mind my rant about the allergies. The rant seems to make me feel better, though.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Bay City, Texas: Gateway To The Great Outdoors

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: