Thursday, March 18, 2010

Virginia City, Nevada

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 45 degrees, high 70 degrees, clear skies

My allergy ailments seem to be getting better, just in time for the longer hours at work. The only problem is that Carolyn is now starting to suffer from her allergies. She's trying to say that it's my fault she is having problems. That means she's allergic to me, but that's never been a problem. Or, it means if I hadn't taken the current job, we would be somewhere else and the allergies wouldn't be an issue. Oh, well. We have to be somewhere.

Today was the last work day of the week. Thank God! I've been dragging around at work since I've felt so bad. Maybe by the time I go back to work on Monday, I'll be feeling a lot better. I hope so. Can you imagine how hard it is to work when you don't feel good?

The preparations for the shutdown continued, and it seems that the issues we had for the last shutdown in the fall haven't been a problem so far for this one. Now, if the actual shutdown goes as well as the preparations are, it should be a fairly easy job. One can only hope.

When we were in Nevada, we visited Virginia City, mentioned many times in the television show Bonanza. Virginia City began life as a boom town after silver was discovered in the area in 1859. The population reached as high as 30,000 people, and over 400 million dollars in silver were mined during the town's peak years. The current population is about 1,000 people and the town is the nation's largest National Historic Landmark. As might be expected, the primary money producer now is tourism, with about 2,000,000 people visiting in a typical year. There are many old buildings in the town, including homes and the school seen below, which was built in 1878. A quirky note: Samuel Clemens used his pen name Mark Twain in Virginia City for the first time.

As I said earlier, the picture above is of the school. The one below is of a typical classroom in the school. It's hard to believe the classroom is as old as the school, because it looks like some of the classrooms I used when in school. Hmmm, maybe I'm getting older than I thought.





More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Virginia City, Nevada: Step Back in Time

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: