Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mount St. Helens

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 62 degrees, high 75 degrees, fog early, then partly cloudy skies

This picture was taken as we approached Mount St. Helens from the north. We were there about 24 years after the eruption, and it was amazing how much damage was still evident. A few weeks ago when a climber fell into the crater and died, it brought back to me how overwhelming it was to be as close as we were able to get to the mountain.



It was a little busier at work today, which is fine with me. Compared to the last shutdown, this one is going very well so far. We were commenting today that at this point before the last shutdown, we were already dealing with several issues. No issues so far this time. Could this be a positive omen for this shutdown?

Today was the last work day for this week. I've been fighting allergies all week, so I'm ready for a few days off. That's not to say I won't be doing anything. Tomorrow, I plan to clean the roof on the RV. Then, since cleaning the roof usually leads to cleaning the sides of the RV, I'll do that, also. If I feel like it, I'll probably wash the truck. So, a busy day planned for tomorrow.

A reader commented on yesterday's post that it must be hard to be engaged after doing so many of these shutdowns. I’ve been working in the nuclear business for a long time, and know how important it is to be aware of what’s happening on the job at all times. I think I do a good job of staying alert and being able to respond to whatever comes up. Do I ever think about what I want to do when a job is over, or what I would rather be doing at a particular time? Absolutely! I think if a person loses touch with their dreams or only thinks about the present time, it would make for a boring existence. One of my favorite things to do is to make plans for what we’re going to do tomorrow, next week, next month, six months from now….. It doesn’t mean that we’ll do all of the things I plan for, but I always have something ready for us to do. Such as, try to find some wildflowers this weekend, go to one of our favorite restaurants in Columbus, go to Florida to visit family, find cooler weather in the summer, and on and on. The possibilities are endless.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Olympia, Washington: The Capital City Of The Evergreen State

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: