Monday, March 29, 2010

Facilitating

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 44 degrees, high 72 degrees, clear skies

The alarm seemed to go off as soon as I fell asleep last night. 0400 hours came in a hurry. I didn’t realize I was as tired as I must have been, because I almost slept through the alarm. That’s unusual for me since I usually sleep so lightly. I can only hope I continue to sleep this well at night for the whole outage.

Over the years, I’ve learned how to get up and get ready for work in a hurry. When the hours are as early and long as what I’m used to working, any time saved in the morning is a bonus. Most of the time, my lunch is prepared the night before. In addition, I lay out my clothes, take a bath, and shave if I’m inclined to do it, and get everything ready that I can so I can get out the door as quickly as possible. When I get up, I wash my face, brush my teeth, comb my hair (at least what’s left up there), get dressed, grab my lunch, and hit the door. Doing that saves time for sleeping and takes away the early morning stress by having everything I need already taken care of. My memory is not what it used to be. But, then whose is when they get to be as old as me? Fifteen minutes after waking up, I’m ready to go.

Work is moving along with the occasional little hiccup that arises in the course of the day. One of my jobs is to help take care of the little hiccups that arise. I don’t actually solve the problems but help the work groups who are causing the hiccups get their stuff together. That means I offer suggestions, and in some cases just letting them know that they have a problem solves the issue. Aha! I have the word for what it is I'm doing: facilitating.

The job involves a lot of time be spent out in the field, but that means I get to see a lot of people I know from the past. Relations between us are good, so it’s not as though I have to pop a whip to get the support the project needs. Overall, it’s a pretty good job.

What was that? A train just slammed to a stop outside the RV with a noise as though it was coming off the rails. I'll be glad when we don't have to listen to those things again.

I heard that the wildflowers are starting to show up in Texas. This spring should be a real show stopper for the flowers with all the rain that has fallen. I think one of the most beautiful sights we have seen is a field of bluebonnets waving in the breeze. It almost looks like blue smoke covering the ground.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Eufaula, Alabama: Big Bass Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: