Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Walking At Work

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 43 degrees, high 70 degrees, partly cloudy skies

It's a good thing my feet and legs have a little time to get used to the longer hours and more walking at work. I must have walked ten miles at work today - okay, at least eight miles, and it felt like more. The work site is a large complex, and I seem to be going out to check how work is going a lot more often than I was just last week. Some of the work groups have golf carts to use, and so does the one I'm working with. The only problem is that one golf cart to use among 30 people means that I haven't been able to use it. And I don't think it'll be available for the time I'm here. So, even though I'm not going for my long morning walks since I started working, I'm getting plenty of walking on the job. Hey, that means I'm getting paid to walk!

I've mentioned many times that I like to find beautiful old courthouses during our travels. One of the most memorable was the Ellis County Courthouse, located in Waxahachie, Texas. We visited the nice little town of Waxahachie on a Saturday, not knowing that the town was holding a grand prix festival in the downtown area, including part of the race track course winding around the courthouse. The current courthouse was built in 1896, and is the latest in a series of four that were built. It is built of red sandstone and granite. The style of architecture is Richardsonian Romanesque, whatever that is.



Waxahachie was going to be the location of a super collider machine that would encircle the entire town, but the government canceled the project years ago. Oh, by the way, Waxahachie is pronounced Woks a hatchee. The word is an Indian word that supposedly means, among other things, buffalo chips, cow creek, buffalo creek, and fat wildcat.

Some popular movies were filmed there, including Places In The Heart, Tender Mercies, 1918, The Trip To Bountiful, and some episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger. When the scenic beautiful of the downtown area and the Victorian homes are seen, it's east to see why the area is popular with film makers.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Waxahachie, Texas: The Gingerbread City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: