Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bessie Mae

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 79 degrees, high 84 degrees, cloudy, windy, rain

There has been a lot of work performed in the last 24 hours as we finally moved the old reactor head out of the containment building and to it’s storage area. Then the new head was moved into containment and reassembly activities on it began. In the last 24 hours, we have gained about 12 hours on our schedule, and we expect more gains as we continue the process of putting everything back together.

I have been asked to help the site with another project that will start shortly after this outage is over. In fact, I have already performed some planning activities for the new project, but have not made a formal commitment to stay. There are some things Carolyn and I need to do, such as go to Glen Rose for our yearly physicals and a dentist appointment for Carolyn here in Bay City . In addition, I had previously made a commitment to go to a plant near New Orleans for one to two weeks to perform an assessment of some planning efforts they are working on which would lead to replacing their steam generators. I’m not sure how I’ll work all of this out at this time.

I saw that the Cash for Clunkers program, which was supposed to cost taxpayers about $4500 per car, actually cost about us about $24,000 per car because many of the cars that were sold would have been sold anyway. That started me thinking about how often we buy a new vehicle, which is not often at all. on average, we keep vehicles about 15 years before getting another one. The last one I sold was about 30 months ago. It is a Nissan pickup truck, had 235,000 miles on it and still ran great when I sold it. A friend that lives in Granbury, Texas, bought the truck and is still driving it. He updates me on how Bessie Mae is doing from time to time, and likes her as much as we did. I can only hope that all of my vehicles do as well she has.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Columbia, South Carolina: Cola

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: