Friday, October 9, 2009

Cooler Weather - Ahhhhh

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 63 degrees, high 87 degrees, windy, cloudy, showers

The low temperature for the day occurred this evening, not this morning as it usually does. When I left home at 0410 hours, it was 83 degrees. About 0900 hours, the temperature had increased to 87 degrees, and then the wind changed direction from the south to the northwest in a matter of minutes. The temperature began dropping as the rain started hitting us, and 30 minutes later, was down by 20 degrees. The lower temperature is a nice change that's not going to last. We'll enjoy it while we can.

Today was busy at work, and I enjoyed the faster pace. Have you ever noticed how time drags when you're not busy? I would rather be busier, with things moving along at a controlled pace where everyone has their activities planned and follows their plan. Early in the outage, we have been hampered a little because of the workers that are inexperienced in working in this type of environment. After nine days of outage, the new people are getting valuable experience and gaining confidence in their abilities. This industry's long range future indicates that it will be growing, and we need new people to help it grow. In addition, there are many of the oldtimers of the industry starting to retire or will retire in the next few years. Now that I think about it, I guess I would be classified as an oldtimer. Hmmmm. I guess the lack of experienced people is one of the reasons I keep getting offers of work.

When I arrived home this evening, Carolyn had all the windows open, enjoying the cooler air. The biggest negative to having the windows open is that the trains are even louder. I think I'll wait until she goes to sleep and close the windows.

I'm off work tomorrow, and I'm tired enough that I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice to sleep until daylight. Or at least until 0600 hours.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Moncks Corner, South Carolina: Capital Of Santee Cooper Country

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: