Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Decisions Made

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 67 degrees, high 85 degrees, windy, showers late in the afternoon

After another day of having limited success in removing stuck components on the old reactor head, the decision was made to move forward and use new parts to replace the stuck parts. This decision was made based on schedule, costs, and lost revenue due to the outage taking longer than expected. The next few days will be busy as we prepare the old head for removal from containment and bring the new head into containment. In fact, it may be so busy that I will have to work on Saturday, my day off. Ouch!! At least Florida's college football game against Mississippi State is being played Saturday night. I should be able to watch it on television if I can stay awake long enough.

When I went into work this morning, a security officer was getting tag numbers from cars parked in the parking lot. I didn't see anything wrong, but the officer said they were parked illegally. I asked the officer how the people would know they were parked wrong, and he said there a sign posted. I looked around, and didn't see a sign. The officer said it's over there. Yeah, right. Fifty feet away and in the dark. I pointed that out to him, and his response was that people should pay attention to where they park. When I came out tonight to go home, barricades had been placed to keep cars out of the area. Why didn't they do that from the start?

It is expected that the outage length will be extended by about ten days because of the issues we have been having. Don't these people realize we have places to go and things to do? Seriously, though, it's tough to see this happen to a site that I worked at for so long and affect the people as much as this will. This is a great place to work, and the people are outstanding. I hope they can get past this setback as quickly as possible and back to the world class performance they are accustomed to.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Charleston, South Carolina: The Chuck

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: