Friday, October 23, 2009

Frustration

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 49 degrees, high 72 degrees, clear skies

When I walked into the office this morning, everyone on night shift was all smiles as they had a very good night of getting work accomplished. When night shift came in this evening to relieve the day shift, we were glum and despondent because we had such a bad day. It seemed like everything we touched today either didn't work or took much longer to accomplish than it ever has before. What a frustrating day!

The overwhelming majority of people in this industry take pride in their work and in being part of a team that accomplishes the goals they set for themselves. Being involved in a project like this one that has been dealing with all the issues we have been faced with is tiring and tends to wear a person down. It was announced today that the outage length has been extended by ten days. Many people would be happy with their employment and overtime being extended if a schedule is not met. That's not the case here because most people have other jobs to go to, and there is that pride thing that likes to be part of something that ends on schedule and budget.

For a couple of days I thought I might have to work on my day off, which is tomorrow. Things worked out to where I didn't have to work, so I will take my normal day off tomorrow. In preparation for the day off, I called Carolyn and invited her to go out to dinner. She jumped all over that because I'm such a good cook. She loves it when I cook. We went to K-2 Restaurant, which we ate at many times when we lived here. Tonight was the first time we have eaten supper there in several years, and we enjoyed it. On top of that, we had leftovers for tomorrow. So I guess I could say I cooked for two meals. What's so hard about cooking?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Huntsville, Alabama: Watercress Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: