Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thick Fog

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 94 degrees, partly cloudy skies, high humidity, heat index of 104 degrees

I drove to work in a thick fog this morning. No, not a fog in my head, but the weather type of fog, with visibility limited to a few hundred feet. At that time of the morning, there is not much traffic, but I have to be watching for deer and wild hogs. A deer can cause a lot of damage to a car, but a wild hog can cause even more. In addition, there are a lot of cattle in pastures along the route. Several accidents have been caused by cows getting on the road and being hit by cars. When I drive to work in the morning, I’m continually watching for animals on the road or standing in the grass. Hitting one of them would not be a good way to start the day.

Our project at work is moving along, but we’ve hit a couple of delays associated with a crane not functioning as it should. At this time, we’re about 48 hours behind schedule. We’re working on the crane to get it repaired and operating as it should. We have an outstanding scheduler here who can work magic with a schedule, but this may be more than he can fix. Personally, I hope we get the issues straightened out so the outage can be completed on time. Carolyn and I have places to go and things to do.

It looks like the health care stuff is moving through Congress. Why is it that I'm skeptical of the claims that this wholesale fix of the health care system is going to be better for everyone? If that's so, why did Congress exempt themselves from the planned changes? Let us have the same coverage at the same cost as Congress and I'll be the first to sign up for it. Until then, spare me all the rhetoric about how this is good for us.

More later, be safe.

Today’s Town – Carbondale, Pennsylvania: The Pioneer City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: