Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Little Progress

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 56 degrees, high 70 degrees, cloudy early, then clear skies, windy

Little progress was made in moving the old reactor head from the containment building last night. There were issues with the crane removing the old head, but those issues were solved today. Then another problem came up with a clearance issue. The old head seems to be resisting leaving it’s home of the last 25 years, digging it’s heels in every time we seem to be making progress. I can’t remember being on a project that has had the number and types of problems we have had to solve as we have on this one. With all of the lessons learned, the next outage in Unit 2 should go much smoother.

Many of our people in the office have been working without a day off for about three weeks as we work through the problems. Fortunately, I have been able to take a day off each week, which has helped a lot. Today, one of our people had to go to the doctor for some physical problems he is having. We received word this afternoon that he will be having a stress test in the morning. I hope he passes with flying colors, because the job is not worth harming his health. This project will finish, even if it's not on time and he's not there.

Carolyn's vertigo was better today as the barometric pressure increased. More and more, we think the atmospheric pressure has some effect on her dizziness. She felt well enough to clean the carpet in the RV. When I arrived home, she asked me to put the carpet cleaner up. Can you imagine what I will have to do in order to put the cleaner up? Pull about half the stuff out of the basement, put the carpet cleaner in, and put about half the stuff that was in the basement back in. I did not feel like doing that much work. I'll get it when I'm off Saturday. My list of stuff to do then is growing.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Decatur, Alabama: The Heart Of The Valley

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: