Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Fried Tomato

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 36 degrees, high 37 degrees, cloudy skies, windy

About the best thing that can be said about today's weather is that it has stopped raining. Otherwise, it feels like winter has come back to us. A heavy coat felt good when we were outside.

We don't eat out very often since we moved in to the new home base. There are several reasons for that, including the fact that so many of the restaurants are so bad. At least that's the way I see them. Another reason is that Carolyn enjoys cooking more when she has more room to spread out, so I'm getting some of the dishes now that we used to eat before we started full time RVing. Occasionally, however, I suggest that we try a restaurant in order to see if we can find another one that we like. Today, I suggested we go to the Fried Tomato Buffet, located in Ardmore, Tennessee.

We had been past the restaurant several times in the past, and it was always busy. The circumstances were not right to stop before now. With the weather like it was and lunch time approaching, today seemed like the day to take a chance on the Tomato.

When we walked in the door of the restaurant, we were immediately made to feel welcome, as the lady at the register called us "Sugar" and told us to sit wherever we wanted. Another lady came to our table and took our drink orders, also calling us "Sugar".

Since this was a buffet, we looked at the choices available. There was fried chicken (a southern staple), turkey, roast beef, dressing, and all the normal vegetables that might be expected in a southern restaurant. I was a little disappointed that there was not any cat fish, but got over it.

I have to say that the food was a pleasant surprise. It was tasty, and there was plenty of it. The drink glasses were never empty, and Carolyn said the fried chicken reminded her of when she was growing up in south Georgia. We can see why the place is always busy, and we added it to our list of good restaurants to return to.

Oh, by the way - the fried green tomatoes were good.

I think I'm starting to get over my breathing problems, at least the ones that have kept me from sleeping well for the last month. Last night, I slept the best that I have since my problems started, and didn't have to take a nap today. Instead, I helped Carolyn on the genealogical research. I even managed to dredge up some memories that helped close some loop holes in her previous research. We do well when we work together. Now, who were my great-great-grandparents and where did they come from?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Live Oak, Florida: The City Of Nature

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: