Thursday, March 3, 2011

MRI

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 44 degrees, high 72 degrees, partly cloudy skies

I spent most of the day involved in more tests to find the reason or reasons for my breathing problems. We had to go to Huntsville early this morning to have the tests performed, but traffic was not bad, for a change.

During this process to find the reason for me being sick, I have been poked, prodded, stuck, pricked, x-rayed, and any number of other tests. Today, I went through a brand new experience, at least for me. I had an MRI of my heart performed. What a trip that was!

Imagine being placed in a metal cave with the walls and ceiling only six inches away. No movement is allowed for about two hours. Almost the whole time the examination is going on, it sounds as though you're in a metal barrel and someone is beating the outside of it with a hammer. A pair of hearing protectors are used, with piped in music to listen to. Do the hearing protectors help with the noise? Not hardly. The music is supposed to help the time pass and take your mind off what is happening, but believe me, it doesn't help. Especially when the music was mostly performed by hair bands.

During the examination, I was asked to hold my breath several times while certain tests were performed. Normally, holding my breath is not a problem, but since I'm having breathing problems, it was a little difficult sometimes. Still, I managed to get through the exam fairly well, and even missed a cue to hold my breath one time because I almost went to sleep.

As far as I know, the tests are completed. Now, the doctors will put their heads together to see what they can come up with. I do have some positive news to report. Yesterday, my medicine was modified, and my symptoms are better today. It's amazing the difference a little change can make. Now, if we can just build on that success.
That road trip in the RV might be sooner than we thought.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Brookings, Oregon: The Pulse Of America’s Wild Rivers Coast

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: