Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 32 degrees, high 54 degrees, clear skies

The weather was great today. It's too bad I didn't feel good enough to get out and do something. I did manage to take the truck to town and get it serviced. That brought up a little problem I need to check in to. The serviceman wrote on the ticket that the engine had a small oil leak, so maybe I'll be able to check on that tomorrow.

The reason I didn't feel like doing anything was that I only got about two hours sleep last night. The breathing problems continue, but at least I am able to get a little sleep, unlike a week ago when I was lucky to get an hour a night. I'm still waiting on the doctor's office to let me know when to go to Birmingham for the medical tests that he wants performed.

The big news of the day is the earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people affected. Seeing the news today reminded me of things we saw when we were on the west coast in 2004. We drove the length of US 101 from San Francisco to Olympia, Washington. We saw many beautiful beaches and coastal towns. However, we were continually reminded that the beauty held a hidden danger in the form of tsunamis that could strike without almost no warning. There were many signs posted at the low points near the coast that warned of the possibility of tsunamis hitting the area. The first time we saw one of those signs, it gave us a funny feeling. Like, should we be on this road?

It appears the worse hit area in the US today was the northern California/southern Oregon coast. Crescent City, California had a tsunami hit the town about 40 years ago, with a number of people being killed and most of the town being destroyed. So, it was a surprise that a person was killed there today when the tsunami struck. In addition, the harbor docks, along with many boats, was destroyed. That's a shame, since it is such a nice little town.

Events such as what happened today make us stop and think about what is going on with our lives. I've been sick, but I have every confidence that eventually the cause and a cure will be found. At least I don't have to worry about the house shaking down. Or being washed away.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Carthage, Texas: The Best Small Town In Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: