Sunday, March 27, 2011

More Rain

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 39 degrees, high 43 degrees, cloudy, breezy

The rains of yesterday continued until about 0200 hours this morning. No rain during the daylight hours today, but radar shows more coming tonight. Enough, already!

After my usual night of being up and down all night, then sleeping fairly well the last three hours before getting up at 0730 hours, we spent a slow morning reading, watching television, and working on genealogy. Can you imagine Carolyn being able to go back to her 12th great-grandfather? That just boggles the mind, and then to find the town in Wales where he came from is even more impressive. I put a real challenge to her today: what kind of work did he do? Intuition says he was probably a farmer or shop keeper, so let's see what she comes up with.

After the hard morning's work of doing much of nothing, we went to lunch at Cracker Barrel. With the problems I'm having with my taste buds being messed up, it doesn't really matter where we go. In fact, I could do just as well at home. Bad taste in one place is also bad taste any where else. But, I need to think of what Carolyn would like to do, so I try to suggest different places to give her a break. Who knows, maybe I'll find something with a little taste.

The food at Cracker Barrel was the same as always, but it didn't affect my taste buds at all. I ate as much as I could, and brought the rest home. I'm not sure why I brought it home, because making leftovers out of it didn't help.

We took a short ride in the country after leaving Cracker Barrel, but soon got tired of seeing water soaked fields and flooded ditches. When we got home, Carolyn continued working on genealogy while I watched a terrific college basketball game between Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and Kansas. Kansas was a prohibitive favorite to beat the little school from Richmond, Virginia, but got the surprise of their lives as the smaller school won the game rather easily. It's good to see the underdog do well.

About three weeks ago, I wrote that we had to get in contact with the seller of the house we bought about them not fulfilling a term of the contract. He was supposed to replace all the lower sashes of the windows, and had promised to have it completed well before now. I guess you can see what is coming, as the work has still not been completed. I went to see him again today, emphasizing the point that we need to get the work finished, and the sooner, the better. The seller put the blame on someone else. As far as I am concerned, he is to blame, and if we don't get action in the near future, I will be seeing a lawyer. I think we have been more than accommodating. It's time for some action on his part. So, there!!!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Charleston, South Carolina: The Marina City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: