Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back In Bay City, Texas

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 79 degrees in Jennings, Louisiana, high 97 degrees in Bay City, Texas, mostly clear skies in Bay City

I arrived in Bay City about 1300 hours this afternoon. Pulling into the RV park where I will be staying, I couldn't find anyone to tell me where to park the RV. I called the phone number listed on the sign in front of the park, and the lady who answered said pick any spot I wanted. Since it was so hot (97 degrees, but felt like 109), I decided a little shade might be good to have. Driving down through the park, I saw several sites that had potential. The only problem was that all of them had cars parked in them. No RVs, just cars. Some people were outside working on an RV, so I stopped and asked them who the cars belonged to. I was in luck, because all of the cars belonged to the men. They offered to move as many cars as needed so I could park. Ten minutes later, I had the RV parked and was putting my landing gear down.

With the interruptions that took place and cooling off from time to time, it was 1500 hours before I was completed with setting everything up, including the satellite dish. Then it was time to fill out a registration card and get some help trimming some low hanging branches so the roof won't be damaged by high winds. By then, I was tuckered out, and it was time to head inside to take a shower and cool off. After a half hour or so, I called my brother Terrell to let him know I was in town. We'll get together later. Next on the agenda was to go see my daughter Lori and her family for a nice visit. Lori's husband John arrived home about 1800 hours and we went to Victoria's Mexican Restaurant for supper. The food was good and we had a good conversation.

When I talked to Carolyn tonight, she said a bad thunderstorm went through Tuscaloosa and Northport late this afternoon. I'm sure she was glad she was in something a little more substantial than the RV when that happened.

I had been hearing about how dry it was here this summer. I didn't realize how bad it actually is. All the ponds are dried up, grass in the fields is dead, yards have turned brown, crops died.... I remember several times that it was dry when we lived here, but this is worse than anything I saw before. Looks like I need to wash the truck and RV so these folks will get some rain. It's worked elsewhere.

A thought: If the proposed health care overhaul is such a good idea, why did Congress exempt themselves from it?

Good Night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Missouri City, Texas: The Show Me City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: