Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On The Road To Texas

Jennings, Louisiana

Weather: low in Tuscaloosa, Alabama was 74 degrees, high in Jennings, Louisiana was 95 degrees

Normally, when we are scheduled to travel, neither of us sleeps very well the night before leaving. Last night was an exception to that. Both of us slept well, and the reason I did may have been because I was so tired from lack of sleep the previous night. Whatever it was, I felt better when I woke this morning.

Getting ready to leave this morning was not difficult because we did most of the preps yesterday. By the time the gate opened at the park 0700 hours, we were ready to leave. We arrived at the place where Terri was picking up Carolyn a little early. Once she arrived, the transfer of Carolyn's clothes and other things to Terri's car was completed. I hugged both of them and told them I loved them and pulled out on the road at 0815 hours.

Traffic through Northport and Tuscaloosa seemed to be very light, and I had no delays because of the traffic lights. Fifteen minutes later I was pulling onto I-59 headed southwest. The only delay I ran into was when I stopped for a break and to fill up with diesel in South Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The first pump I pulled up to wouldn't give me any fuel. I told the cashier, and she told me to use the pump on the other side of the one I was trying to get fuel from. No luck, it didn't work either. At that point, I asked the cashier if she was sure there was fuel in the tanks. She said sure there is, back up a little bit and use that other pump. So, I tried the third pump - no luck. At that point, the cashier ran an inventory on her tank levels, and she found that two tanks were empty.

Well, now the cashier said pull over to pump 17, it has plenty of fuel. I asked her if I could run my credit card through that pump? She said don't worry, I'll turn the pump on. I pulled over to pump 17 and tried to pump fuel. No luck. I picked up the phone and called inside and asked the lady if she had turned the pump on. Now, this is when I started getting a little torqued up. The cashier said you will have to prepay before I can turn the pump on. What a fiasco!!

Eventually, I managed to fill the truck up, and I made a mental note to never stop there again. I guess I should be glad that was the worse thing that happened today.

Eventually, I got tired and stopped for the night in a park just outside Jennings, Louisiana. Very basic park, but at least I am well over halfway to Bay City, Texas. Tomorrow's drive should be fairly easy.

It felt strange to be traveling without my sweetheart and partner. I think the RV was probably in shock.

Good Night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Jennings, Louisiana: The Cradle Of Louisiana Oil

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: