Monday, August 31, 2009

Murals Of Wharton

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 91 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

The weather forecast was right for a change. The weather is a little cooler, compared to what it was just a couple of days ago. Can I stand the cooler weather? Absolutely, in fact I'm ready for some global cooling.

There's not much going on here today, except for the job. I managed to get in a walk after work, but the walk was a little shorter than normal for me. Just a little concession to being a little tired after work. When the long hours start in about a month, I probably won't have the time or energy for a walk. Fortunately, the longer hours will only last for about five weeks, and by then my part here will be finished. Then we plan to go to the hill country of Texas for annual doctor visits and some rest.

I talked to Carolyn this evening, and it looks like I will be going to Tuscaloosa over the upcoming Labor Day weekend to pick her up. We're both ready to get back together.

When I was in Wharton this past Friday, I took pictures of some murals painted on the sides of buildings in the downtown area. I like to study the murals we see in different places to see what the local people are trying to say about where they live. Many times, I can get a sense of their history and what is important to them. Some of the recurring themes are patriotism, important milestones in their history, and what they perceive as their future.

Many of the places we have been to have murals, but my favorite town with murals is the town of Eureka, California, located in northern California on the coast. They have about 20 murals scattered all over the downtown area, and have made a game out of finding all of them. The town has developed a tour guide to the town that includes where all of the murals are located, and it almost becomes a scavenger hunt to find them. By the time I found all of the murals, I had seen just about everything the town had to offer, and was much more familiar with the other sights.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Winnie, Texas: Gateway To The Gulf

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: