Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bad Boating Accident

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 89 degrees, partly to mostly cloudy skies, showers in the afternoon

When I was taking my morning walk, I saw some wild hogs inside the COE park. This was the first time I had seen any hogs here, and knowing the damage they can do in a short time, I told the camp hosts. They were surprised, and said they would be notifying their district ranger so plans could be made to trap and remove the hogs.

The camp hosts told me about a bad accident that occurred on the river last night after it became dark. Two boats collided head-on with each other, with one person sustaining a severe head injury. Boats running at night are required to have running lights, and one of them did not. That's too bad, because this accident could have been avoided if they had followed the law and safe boating rules.

When we stay at a COE campground, we know that there are limits placed on how long we can stay. That limit is usually 14 days, but we were allowed to stay a few days longer when we were in Georgetown, Texas and I had to go to a funeral in South Carolina. Since our 14 days here would be finished this coming Thursday, I asked the camp hosts if they knew of a commercial campground that we might be able to stay in for a week or so. There are very few campgrounds in this area. Imagine my surprise when they said why not stay here, since business is so slow? I said that would be great, but I thought we were limited to 14 days in a 30 day period. The camp hosts said that is usually the case, but since business is so slow, they felt the district ranger would be agreeable to us staying longer, if we needed to.

As we were leaving the park about 1500 hours to go buy a few groceries, one of the camp hosts stopped us and said that the district ranger gave the okay for us to stay longer. Since we have not had any success getting a satellite signal, we asked if we could move to another site. No problem, so when we got back from the grocery store, we got the RV ready and moved to the dump where we emptied all our waste water tanks. Then it was on to our new site, where we parked the RV. I set up the satellite dish and got a strong signal. Life is good.

We did a few more chores today, but did not finish everything we wanted to. I guess the pace over the last ten days has tired us out more than we thought. At least we got enough finished that it will make the next week easier.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Euless, Texas: Tree City, USA

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: