Saturday, August 29, 2009

New Matagorda Bridge

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 94 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

Some light showers moved through the area last night. The little bit of rain the showers brought was welcomed, but did little to break the long drought.

I went to a local hardware store this morning to see if they had an adjustable water pressure gauge, but had no luck. Maybe I'll have time to check for one in Tuscaloosa when I go up there to pick up Carolyn.

I left the hardware store and went to HEB to pick up a few groceries. They were really busy, so I kept my purchases to a minimum. It seems everywhere I go here I see people that I knew from when we lived here. Today was no different, as I saw five different people that I was acquainted with. It's nice to see and talk to people that I know from the past. When we go to my hometown of Ocala, Florida, I never see anyone I knew from when we lived there, other than relatives. Of course, we moved away from Ocala in 1980, so who knows what happened to all the people I used to know there.

When I returned home, it was time to take care of some housekeeping chores. Dusting, sweeping, and vacuuming took about 45 minutes. Then I did a light pressing of the clothes I will be wearing to work next week so I won't look thrown away. After the vacuuming, it was time to clean the vacuum cleaner out, so I used the air compressor to blow out the filter on the vacuum cleaner. It's good to go for a couple of weeks.

All the housekeeping made me tired, so I watched some golf on television. By the time I stopped watching golf, I was getting bored, and decided to take a ride down to Matagorda and the beach. They have been building a new bridge over the Intra Coastal Waterway for the past three years, and finally got it finished. It sure makes the drive down to the beach a lot easier. Before the new bridge was built, a swing bridge was used to allow boats and barges to go up and down the Waterway. Waits were long and the old swing bridge was rough. This new bridge is much better, and although you might not be able to tell it, there is a great view from the top. I can see where the area might really take off from a development standpoint.

The beach area was busy, as might be expected on a weekend. People were fishing, swimming, wading, walking, picnicking, and riding horses. The temperature was about ten degrees cooler there, compared to being in town. This is a great recreation resource for the area.

By the time I got back home, I was ready to settle in for the evening. A little television, some reading, a little surfing on the net..... Not a bad weekend. Now, if Carolyn was here.....

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Matagorda, Texas: Where Texas History Began

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: