Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Bluebird Man

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 92 degrees, partly cloudy

We finished working on Terri's stuff that we could do at the RV for the time being. There may be more later, but it feels good to finish what we have. Someday, I hope to be able to relate what has been going on. For now, we have to respect Terri's privacy. If I'm ever able to write about what has been going on, I think it might be a little surprising for most people. Rest assured that none of this is related to illegal actions.

When we finished with Terri's stuff, it was close to lunch time. Since we hadn't eaten, we decided to stop at McDonald's on the way to Terri's apartment and have lunch. We didn't want much, so a small hamburger was perfect. Then we went to Terri's place and visited with her and Thomas for a couple of hours.

After leaving Terri's, we stopped at the WalMart Mall to pick up a few groceries. The Mall was busy with parents and kids buying all sorts of clothes and school supplies in preparation for school to start this next week. The parents seem to be happy with school starting back, but the kids are less than enthusiastic.

Arriving back home, I noticed that our next door neighbor was out, so we introduced ourselves. His name is Rick, and he serves as a volunteer for the COE. He does a little this and a little that, but primarily takes acre of about 150 bluebird nesting boxes located in the campground and along the river. He also performs a census count of the bluebirds and other birds, as well as deer, armadillos, raccoons, wild hogs and other wildlife in the park. he told us the bluebird population in the park was about 650 birds, which was a surprise to us. He traps nuisance animals, such as wild hogs, and relocates them. Rick has been here about eight years, and lives here year round, even when the park is closed in the winter. I wonder how many people would like to be doing what he does?

I was out for a short walk after supper this evening, and was approached by a man who asked if I was Dr. Howell. I told him no and what my last name was. He said I was the spitting image of Dr. Howell. I told him thanks, I think. The man said you look like somebody I know besides Dr. Howell, but I can't recall who it is right now. I said is it Jimmy Carter, and he responded, Yes! That's who I was trying to think of. Many times over the years I have been approached by people who told me I looked like Jimmy Carter. I consider that an honor because I have always felt that Mr. Carter was a good man. I never cared much for his politics, and thought he was probably the worse president we have had until the recent past. Still, that does not detract from the good things that Mr. Carter has done in his life time.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - West, Texas: Friendly City Of Progress!

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: