Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wharton County Courthouse

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 95 degrees, mostly clear skies

This was a slow day for me, with the high light of the day being a trip to the WalMart Mall for a few groceries and diesel fuel. The day started with my usual morning walk. It was really hot because I walked a little later than normal. The route home was into the rising sun, which meant I had to put up with the glare and heat. On work days, I have to wait until I get home to walk, and it is even hotter then. In the interest of not getting too hot when I walk in the evening, I usually cut the walk a little short. I have gotten too hot before, and it's not fun.

The WalMart Mall was not busy at all. I guess that's to be expected, considering the time I was there. There were not many registers open, and I just happened to get in a line that the customer making the store clerk double check every price. What makes people do that? Once I realized what was going on, I moved to another line and was soon out the door.

By the time I got home, I was getting a little hungry, so stopped long enough to eat.
Then I decided to see if there was anything I could do to get more water pressure with the equipment I have on hand. We'll see if it helped, but I don't have much hope.

I watched some golf in the afternoon, and saw Tiger Woods finish second again. Is he losing his touch? I don't think so, there have just been a couple of players that played better than him for a change.

College football starts this next week, and I'm ready. I used to like pro football, but I'm tired of seeing so many overpaid prima donnas think they should be treated differently than the rest of us because they're professional athletes.

When I was in Wharton on Friday, I took some pictures of the downtown area. This is a picture of the Wharton County Courthouse, which is still being used. It was built in 1893 and remodeled in 2007. The bricks, which are salmon colored, were made with clay from the Colorado River, which is a few blocks away. The downtown area is typical of so many of the small Texas towns that we have been to.

Here's a picture of one side of the courthouse square. If you look hard enough, you can see an old movie theater that has been refurbished and is showing first run movies. I can remember many Saturday afternoons spent in movie theaters just like it when I was a child. Ahh, the memories.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Wharton, Texas: The Best of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: