Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chore Day

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 89 degrees, partly cloudy skies, showers late in the afternoon, hot and muggy

Heat index. What a benign sounding term. Basically, the heat index is an index developed by Robert Steadman. The index combines air temperature and relative humidity to determine the equivalent temperature. In other words, how hot it feels, compared to the actual temperature. The body cools itself by sweating, which evaporates and carries heat away from the body. When the relative humidity is high, the evaporation rate is reduced, so heat is removed from the body at a lower rate causing it to retain more heat than it would in dry air. The reason I brought the term up is that often the actual air temperature may not be as hot as it feels. Today is a good example of that. The air temperature was 89 degrees today, while the heat index was 100 degrees. Yuk!! Way too hot with this humidity. This information came from Wikipedia, and is more of the stuff that is probably useless to most people.

In yesterday's post, I mentioned that the camp hosts were concerned about possible noise makers last night. All I can say is if there was any noise, I didn't hear it. I'm a light sleeper, waking at almost any sound out of the ordinary. If I didn't hear anything, it was quiet. Thank goodness, because we were very tired last night and we didn't need that aggravation.

I have a long list of chores we want to get done this weekend since we have been ignoring our work to help Terri. There was no way we would be able to finish all of the items today, but many of them were finished. We'll keep working on the chores tomorrow so when we're busy next week, it won't seem to overwhelm us.

First thing this morning I went to the post office to pick up our mail. We have it forwarded to us as needed when we're in a place long enough for it to catch up. Then I stopped and had the truck serviced since it was time for that. Next on the chore list was to do a little shopping at the WalMart Mall for some things we needed. The mall is a great help to us, since we can usually find everything we need there. Carolyn is not a big fan of the mall, but she understands why I use it. I think most people have a love/hate relationship with the WalMart Mall, and that's the way Carolyn approaches going there. She says they never have what she wants, and what they do have is moved around all time so it makes it difficult to find items. I, on the other hand, see the flaws she's talking about, but I really like the convenience of getting everything in one place. And the mall tends to have the lower prices. I wish more of their products were made in this country, but all stores sell merchandise from overseas.

Carolyn was busy doing her chores while I was gone. Sometimes when I write about how busy I've been, I neglect to mention that she is working away, doing all the things she can. So, don't think this is a one person show.

When I returned home, we had lunch and did some meditation for the first time in over a week. Ahhhh!! That felt so good. We have a lot to do, but we need to take care of ourselves. Then the chores continued. I dumped some shower water, cleaned the inside of the truck (how did it get so dirty?), and got rid of some trash that had accumulated. There were several little things we did, but that was the major stuff.

Tonight we watched a Harrison Ford movie, surfed the net, and did some reading. It was a good day, and now for some well earned rest.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Aberdeen, Washington: The Port Of Missing Men

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more of that frogetting?

Jerald said...

Frogetting? That's a new one for me.

Jerald